Monday, December 17, 2018

Weekending

Good Morning!

The sun is (finally) out.  What a soggy weekend we had - lots of rain and then high winds.

So....my weekend did not start out very well.  After dinner on Friday night I started baking.  I got one batch of cookies done and then my oven quit!  It's electric and the heating element fried itself.  This happened once before - back in 2010.  That first time the fire department arrived!  Luckily that did not happen this time, but until we can get someone out to repair it, my baking is on hold.

Saturday was nice despite the weather.  We went over to Colin & Mailing's for dinner to celebrate Colin's birthday.  Here are the kitties checking out the gifts.




Marcel sat on the one gift for quite some time.  Talbot didn't really seem ALL that interested - lol.

Here is their mantle.  The stocking on the right is one that my 2nd Mom (Leslie's Mom) made (needlepoint) for Colin when he was born - so it is 29 years old!!  The thing that looks like a stick on the left is a bow that my uncle carved - probably in the 30's or 40's.


Dinner was delicious.  Mailing made Korean fried chicken - two varieties one was hot and the other was a butter-honey.  OMG, so good.  To go with there were plenty of things I had never had!!  Lotus root,, burdock, sesame leaves, and then there were pickled cucumbers, soy beans and anchovies.  Dessert was a pistachio cake - Yum!!  Here's a shot as stuff was being put on the table.


Sunday was pretty much a lazy day.  I did an errand or two and then decided to knit a tiny cat.  What a fiddly mess that was!  I will not be doing this again.  I used alpaca yarn which kept splitting and fraying.  Anyway, my version ended up looking like a cat that has been in a fight.  The tail is supposed to be knit, but I had had enough at that point, so I just braided some yarn and tacked it on.  A cute idea, but way too fiddly for moi.

LOL

Finally, some of you asked to see our tree.  Here is a shot I took this morning as I sat with my coffee enjoying the lights.


I cut off the top by accident, but we always put a red cardinal at the top of our tree.

Hoping this week will be easy.  Today is probably busy, but the rest of the week should be a breeze (fingers crossed).  Hope your week goes well.

16 comments:

  1. Your feast looks AMAZING!!!!
    I, too am happy to see the sun this morning. I swear yesterday I had cobwebs in my brain from all this rain and gloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had deep clouds but mild weather, so I can't complain. Today, the cold is back, but so is the sun.

    All of that food reminds me of watching the original Iron Chef episodes--the ingredients like burdock and lotus root. It sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful tree! I think the universe is telling you to knit and not bake. Hoping the repair is a cheap one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family surely does know how to prepare delicious food! Colin's mantle is beautiful, along with your tree.

    The same thing happened with my oven about a year ago. I was able to order a heating element from Amazon, unscrew two screws, and just plug the new one in. It cost me $40 instead of $300!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tree is gorgeous! Still chuckling at Marcel sitting on the gift box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo with Marcel. Cats are so funny.

    Hope you have a good week at work. Looking forward to Saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely tree! And the kitties just crack me up -- especially the one sitting on the present. :-) Good luck with your oven. . .
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the red cardinal on top of the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fiddly tiny knits usually don't work for me either. BUT I do like your cat. Your tree is joyous

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how your little kitty turned out.. but I agree.. some amigurami can drive one nuts. I had a bad day here.. my son's dog ripped up my advent presents and my son had to put their dog down and they buried her out here. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m sorry your oven quit on you. That is so frustrating when you’re in the middle of something. The food that Mailing made looks absolutely wonderful. I love trying new foods as long as they’re not too spicy. Marcel looks right at home sitting on top of the package. I think he was claiming ownership of it! And finally, your kitty is so sweet looking. A little rough around the edges, but so are most of us! Thank you for your sweet email today. It was very thoughtful of you and very appreciated. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those foods sound like they would be really good and fun to try! About 5 years ago, our oven died two days before Thanksgiving. But we managed an alternative, but once was enough!

    Your tree looks so pretty and I love the idea of the red cardinal on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice tree-and the knitted kitty looks very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tree is lovely and oh my does that dinner sound amazing! Hope your oven gets repaired soon ... but I'm sure Colin & Mailing would be happy to bake and cook everything (and I'm sure it would be delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Been catching up on blog posts -- thanks for the shout out in your blog! Love Fletch's socks! Love the tiny cat -- even if it is fiddly, it's adorable! I always think about knitting toys and the like, but then I get scared off. lol! Too fiddly indeed! Sorry about the oven. I hope you can get it fixed quickly. We've had oven issues over the years as well. A real pain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The tree is lovely...I can see why it's such a treat to sip your coffee in the AM...the cat you made is fun and I agree: life's too short to mess with uncooperative yarn!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete