Wednesday, June 20, 2018

A Little Visitor!

Hello All,


It feels as though the humidity has finally dropped some!  Mailing was out of town on business yesterday, so Colin stopped by after work for dinner.  The cold shrimp and pasta salad were perfect for the warm day.  And, after dinner Colin and I took an hour walk along the River Trail in Valley Forge.  We saw a few people, but surprisingly there was no one (and no boats) on the river.  All was pretty still.  We were home by 8:30 and as Colin pulled out of the driveway to go home I once again hopped in the shower.  I took a glass of wine out on the patio to relax (and to dry my hair) after my shower, and look who showed up:




Mr. Toad!  It was just the other day I was commenting to Fletch that I had not seen any toads yet.  When I was a kid I loved to catch them.  Now I don't like to touch them, but I do enjoy seeing them.  Fortunately Tyg is never interested in them.


Other things that have recently appeared:  our trumpet vine has the first blossoms.  hoping the hummers will appear soon!  The Seven Sisters Rose we brought up from Virginia years ago is blooming too.  I'll try to get some pictures.  And we noticed that the poison ivy vines are already turning red!!  There are a lot of these vines climbing the trees in our woods and surrounding properties.  The vines at the tops of the trees are changing.  It seems early.


I did knit 10 rows on my sock at lunch yesterday, but nothing last night.  And, I'm about half-way through Coming to my Senses which I am enjoying, though I wish it were more about food.  Still, because it is about Alice Waters' growing up and starting Chez Panisse in the 60's/early 70's it is a fun read.


I've got a somewhat busy day ahead of me with a break mid-day for my annual physical.  It's nice to be mid-week!

15 comments:

  1. I just saw a toad in the garden this morning! I rarely see them here, so I took it as a good sign. Of what, I'm not sure, but I finally have sugar snap peas, tiny tomatoes, and the popcorn is looking good so he must be good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we haven't had any frogs in the pool like last year and only one toad, usually we get lots. They must have moved to your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to say that my outdoor kitties are expert frog and toad catchers. They have pretty much decimated the area. We used to be able to hear them in the creek but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never, ever get any toads here. Ever. And I would welcome them. They're so cute!

    I read several reviews of the Waters book; many were complaining of its intimate, confessional nature and wished it were more "foody." So...you are not alone. I took a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I lived on the farm, I enjoyed listening to the toads croaking in an irrigation pond down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, hello there Mr. Toad. Eat lots of buggies while you visit.

    (I have a favor ..... could you bring your slow knitting book on Saturday? I'd like to have a look, if you don't mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the seven sisters !!!!! I wonder where the name comes from. OUrs had more than 7

    ReplyDelete
  8. My trumpet vine had its first blooms this week, too!
    Toads-yikes our yard is full of them once it gets dark out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have frogs here.. your toad is cute. Your son is so good to visit so often, you must be a wonderful mom if he is so devoted. Have a lovely week. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw, toads! I haven't seen one in years ... seeing your comment about Alice Waters reminds me that I really enjoyed Ruth Reichl's Comfort Me With Apples. She writes a great piece on meeting Alice...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That reminds me of a cute sign I saw last week: Frog parking only. All others will be toad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the return of summer: plants, nature, etc...but not the humidity. Too hot to knit here - I’m sewing - off n on!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see your visitor. I am so scared of them. Once when we were staying in a hotel we found a toad in our room. Unless it was removed i didnot get out of the bed. By seeing it i feel discomfort..
    Happy to hear about garden blossoms:)

    ReplyDelete