Friday, August 25, 2017

It's Friday!!

Whew!  It has been a long, long week.  not sure why, except that I've had back-to-back busy weeks at work, and after a long, slow summer that is difficult to get used to.  Don't get me wrong - I prefer to be super busy at work - makes the time go quickly.  There is nothing worse than having to sit around with absolutely nothing to do.


Now I'm in the midst of planning a small (30 people or so) West Coast meeting in October.  I probably will not attend this one (boo-hiss) as October is a super busy time in my office.  The other one I'm planning is in early November in Florida at Rosen Shingle Creek in Orlando.  This is a beautiful resort - I've done a number of meetings here over the years.  This group will be a tad bit larger - about 140 people.  I'm hoping I will be able to go to this one.


So, what is happening?  I re-started the Close to You shawl and I'm liking it.  I wasn't sure about the pattern as I'm not real fond of double yarn-overs, but I changed needles and now everything is working ok.  I had originally been using a ChiaoGoo circular needle, but the yarn is so soft and those needles are very slippery.  Stitches (especially the yarn-overs) kept slipping off.  I switched to wooden circulars and all is good.  I'll get a picture over the weekend when I've gotten a bit more done (right now I've only knit about 24 rows or so).
Fletch and I also started reading a new book after dinner.  It's one I read almost 30 years ago, but is very good.  It is The Solace of Open Spaces and makes me think of Nancy.


Colin stopped by for dinner last night and we had a fire in the pit after dinner.  It was a perfect evening for it.  I actually had a shawl wrapped around my shoulders sitting by the fire!




That's Fletch standing and Colin sitting with a glass of whiskey and a cigar.  Lots of good conversation and plenty of laughs.


Colin and Mailing are coming for dinner tomorrow and it should be nice enough to have another fire.  We are going to do grilled shish kabobs (steak, pork and chicken as well as peppers, onions, tomatoes, green & yellow squash and mushrooms) and strawberry shortcake for dessert.


I ran out to Trader Joe's around 10 this morning.  Disappointed that the liquor store next door is STILL closed for renovations (going on 3 weeks now), but I got a beautiful bunch of flowers at TJs as well as pizza crusts for tonight and other miscellaneous goodies (always, always buy more than I go in for at TJs).


And, for the Friday Feline Crowd, here's a shot of Tyg that I took last weekend - resting on the lawnmower after Fletch had done some mowing.  At one point he tried to stick his head down in the bag with all the grass clippings!  Too silly.




Well, that's it for me today.  I am so ready for the weekend and our weather forecast looks perfect - 70's all weekend with cooler evenings and mornings.  Hope you all enjoy the weekend!

13 comments:

  1. It's funny how cats will lay claim to anything in their "territory". Mom's dear departed Deuce used to lounge on any vehicle who dared to park in his driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's only fair that you should go to some of the meetings that you plan; in my job we call it a site visit and the EPA requires it! Your shish kabobs sound delicious and now that you've given me this great idea, I think we'll be having some tomorrow, too. I haven't made them all summer! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheesh . . . I MOVE from Orlando and then you say you are going to Orlando. Bad timing on my part for sure. LOL

    Tyg ... what a handsome fella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so close for the meeting yet still several hours away!
    I love the curiosity of a cat! Nice pic! I'm glad the shawl is going well! Hope you get to work on it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitty is just too much!!! I can't even imagine any of my cats getting near the mower. That is just too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is Tyg loving the warmth of the mower?

    I've near heard of that book, but you've tempted me to find it. I love the phrase, "the planet of Wyoming" in the description of the book. Sometimes, it does feel like I live on another planet.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I m looking up that orlando resort! BLog tips are the best tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you know I grew up in Cheyenne, Wyoming? It is certainly . . . wide open! :-)
    I hope you have a wonderful, restful weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy cats. Weather is a little too chilly for August. What a silly summer we've had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you were able to relax this weekend Vera. Enjoyed hearing about your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's definitely a place for wooden needles! Glad switching to them fixed the slippery problem with your shawl. Hope you are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photo of your family, impromptu dinners are the best. We will be seeing our son this coming weekend for a lunch out. I'm excited about that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love my bamboo needles the best of all.

    Nice of Tyg to lend out his mower.

    ReplyDelete